By setting up MFA, you add an extra layer of security to your Microsoft 365 account sign-in. For example, you first specify your password and, when prompted, you also type a verification code sent to your phone.
- Check whether your admin has turned on multi-factor authentication for your account. If they haven’t, when you try to do these steps you won’t see the options in Microsoft 365.
- Sign in to Microsoft 365 with your work or school account with your password like you normally do. After you choose Sign in, you’ll be prompted for more information.
- Choose Next.
- Select your verification method and then follow the prompts on the page. You can also watch the video to learn more.
- After you test your additional verification method, choose Next.
- Once you complete the instructions to specify your additional verification method, the next time you sign in to Microsoft 365, you’ll be prompted to provide the additional verification information or action, such as typing the verification code that is sent to you by text message.
- To have a new code sent to you, refresh your browser tab.
We strongly recommend setting up MFA. For example, if you travel a lot, consider setting up the Microsoft Authenticator app for your additional verification method. It’s the easiest to use and avoids text or call charges.
How to create a new app password
To create a new app password for an app or device, take the following steps. You can repeat these steps to create an app password for as many apps or devices as you need.
Go to the Security basics page and sign in to your Microsoft account.
Select More security options.
Under App passwords, select Create a new app password. Provide any name such outlook 2013 A new app password is generated and appears on your screen.
Enter this app password where you would enter your normal Microsoft account password in the application.
To use an app password in Outlook
You’ll need to do these steps once.
- Open Outlook, such as Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016.
- Wherever you’re prompted for your password, paste the app password in the box. For example, if you’ve already added your account to Outlook, when prompted paste the app password here:
- Or, if you’re adding your Microsoft 365 account to Outlook, enter your app password here:
- Restart Outlook.